Monday, July 15, 2013

Church Deceptions

The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever. [English Standard Version (©2001)] 




Sagada’s beauty is very fascinating and the memories are imprinted in the mind to make it hard to forget. One who appreciates it will be left asking questions how those natural beauties become possible. One of this is its famous Sumaguing Cave.

However, aside from its beauties, even made things can make an impact to one’s awareness, like the thing that caught my eyes and stirred the critical side of my brain the last time I visited it. That was seven months ago, but still I cannot forget the image I saw there.

I attended a wedding last year, and as one of the sponsors I had no choice but to attend the wedding mass to be conducted at St. Joseph Church located in Kilong, one of the barangay of Sagada.

Everything went well, from the beginning to the last ceremony. Of course, as common practice picture taking was done inside and outside the vicinity of the church afterwards. This is when I saw the stone placed in front of the church where the Ten Commandments in Igorot dialect are written. More than just curiosity, I read how the 10 commandments are translated into Igorot dialect. When I reached the 3rd commandment, I was dumbfounded to read that it is translated differently. It says, “Ngilinem nan agew nan dios mo ay Domingo!” I know that the original English says, “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.(KJV)

Reading this, I am reminded of an Igorot song, two decades ago, titled “Simpoo’y Bilin (Ten commandments)” sung by Ms Lourdes Gomeyak Fangki wherein she said Sunday is the rest day; so, probably this was the source of the lyrics of her song.

It is clear what the Holy Bible says, in the Old Testament Isaiah 40:8 “The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever”( English Standard Version (©2001) then reinforced by Jesus Christ during his time in Matthew 5:18 “because I tell all of you with certainty that until heaven and earth disappear, not one letter or one stroke of a letter will disappear from the Law until everything has been accomplished.”(International Standard Version (©2012)) 

And while writing this article, I also noticed that the 2nd commandment (You shall not make unto you any graven image…Exudus 20:4) is missing or not written as one of the commandments, instead, the 3rd commandment is in its place! And to complete the 10 commandments, the 10th is divided into two commandments(Refer to the image) Thus, confirming that the 2nd commandment was deliberately removed. The big question now is Why? Is this to cover up their graven images of the virgin Mary and the image of Christ nailed hanging on the cross?




I cannot comprehend why no one ever questioned it. Does it mean to say that the followers of the church are all blinds following either blind priests or just plain liar leaders! No wonder why Jesus Christ said, in Matthew 7:21 “Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father who is in heaven.” 

This made me believe stronger that knowing your church is very important for your salvation because like what Jesus said, that even those who used his name to perform miracles and cast out demons will not be saved.

 For further reading:
http://www.the-ten-commandments.org/the-ten-commandments.html
http://biblehub.com/matthew/7-21.htm 


An image of the 10 Commandments placed in front of the church


Translation of the above commandments:

  Ten Commandments of the Lord(Kabunyan)
1.       You have no other God than me
2.       Don’t use my name in vain
3.       Keep the day of your Lord which is Sunday
4.       Respect your father and mother
5.       Don’t kill
6.       Don’t commit adultery
7.       Don’t steal
8.       Don’t falsely accuse your fellow men
9.       Don’t covet thy neighbor’s wife
10.   Don’t covet their neighbor’s properties

No comments:

Post a Comment