Sunday, July 23, 2017

Why it’s more fun for kids to grow up in Sagada?













Kids playing the gongs








I believe every kid loves growing up free from the hassles of city life. I wish all kids in the world can enjoy life with freedom like these kids in Namsong, Sagada, Philippines.

I attended a wedding of my wife’s cousin in Namsong, Sagada last July 08, 2017 and I was much amazed by the happiness and pleasure the people celebrated the event.



Kids sitting around waiting for the gong players to beat the gongs.


We arrived in Namsong at around 12 noon, and while we were still half kilometer away, we could hear the beats of the gongs playing – and it seems there was no letups – as soon as one round of music was finished another round was played immediately. We were guessing, they were trying to take advantage of the absence of the rain because anytime rain might be pouring.

Along the way to the place of celebration, we met children and parents carrying foods, either to bring it home or find a good place to eat. Well, it signals lunch was already being distributed.

When we arrived at the place, dancing was going on, and we could see the delight in the people’s faces enjoying their food while watching the performers.

Rice, meat, pansit(Rice noodles), was the main menu. And what makes it extra unique is that the foods were placed in the bark of cut banana trunks. It reminded me of my childhood days when banana trunks were used as plates. It was the “king of plates” during weddings and all kinds of celebrations where people were invited to eat.



I can't remember when was the last time I ate in a bark of banana trunk as plate - I was about 10 yrs old I guess.




And as I was watching, I noticed how the kids were part of the celebration. No wonder the gongs don’t stop singing because every time the adults put down the gong the kids(ages 7-12 years old) immediately pick it up and start beating it – and they play very good, too, like the adults.

I can’t help but say, “Wow, it’s really fun being a kid growing up in Sagada!” In the background of those playing the gongs, small children are enjoying the music: some were trying to dance and some were just running around freely without being restrained, and the others just watching with curiosity. And this went on till late at night. I left around 11pm at night to get my rest and the kids are still around enjoying themselves. According to my mother-in-law, the children were the major gong players until past midnight before the young men took over.



The elders sit near the couple.  Listening to anyone who would like to say a story of which everyone, specially, the couple can get lessons or wisdom.





























The young people watching the players and dancers and try to be part of the group once in a while



















I thought to myself, how much I had missed as a kid!

I grew up in the province, but I haven’t gone to wedding celebrations like this one where you can learn the gongs and traditional dance of the Igorot.

It is this kind of experience that made the people of Sagada vocal in sharing their Ideas and always active during traditional weddings. They start as kids.

In the city of Baguio, it is seldom to see very lively wedding celebrations. The lively ones are those with the gongs being played. Without it, or once it’s stopped, expect the celebration to be dry or just like as if there is no wedding going. I told one of my friends, if there is no traditional gong music and dances, it is much better to just do it in front of a mayor and eat at the restaurant.

Anyway, to see what I am talking about watch the video, below:





No comments:

Post a Comment